Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ryan's First Birthday

I can't believe my little boy is already 1 year old! It never ceases to amaze me how quickly time has passed, and more importantly, how much more I love him as time passes....I didn't know it was possible! Ryan has been such a sweet, fun, loving baby. He's almost always a happy camper and has brought so much joy into our home.

We weren't able to be with any family for his birthday, so the Grandmas and Grandpas spoiled Ryan with presents before the big day.









On his actual birthday, we had a 4th of July barbecue with a bunch of our friends and then let Ryan enjoy some birthday cake.





























As you can probably tell, Ryan was NOT shy about eating his birthday cake. I didn't even have him out of my hands before he was sticking his face in the frosting. He dug right in and didn't quit until the cake was taken away. Takes after his mother, I suppose :)

After the birthday festivities, we finished up the night with an awesome fireworks show in the cul-de-sac. It was a great day!



A few tidbits about Ryan at 12 months:
  • Ryan weighs 15 lbs, 14 oz, is 28 3/4 inches long, and his head is 17 1/4 inches around. This still puts him off the growth charts for his weight and head, but he's moved up to the 10th percentile in length. At his 12 month appointment, the doctor was pretty unhappy about his weight. I keep telling myself that he's just small and not to worry, but because his weight actually dropped on the growth chart, the doctor is not very pleased. Although I really think he's doing fine, the "what-if" always runs through my mind, so we are doing a few precautionary tests just to play it safe. Other than being a tiny little tyke, Ryan's a happy, healthy boy!
  • Ryan now scoots around with ease. He still doesn't get up on his knees to crawl much, but it's impressive how mobile he's become with the "army crawl." He also just recently figured out how to get from laying down to sitting up, so that provides endless entertainment.
  • A bigger deal for me than for him, Ryan is now officially weaned. When he was very small, we spent a great deal of time trying to supplement breastfeeding with a bottle, but Ryan wouldn't have it! Out of the blue, one day about 2 weeks ago, he took a bottle without any problem. So, when the doctor encouraged me to start giving him whole milk, the weaning process began and ended without incident. Although Ryan was a great nurser, he's loving cow's milk, and we're hoping it'll help him put on some weight. He's also doing really well with food. He pretty much eats whatever we're eating, and he likes basically everything. I've yet to see him refuse to try something new! (knock on wood....)
  • Ryan is still as sociable and musical as ever. He loves to be around other people (especially kids - he'll laugh at them forever) and he LOVES music. The second a tune comes on, he starts jammin' out - literally. The "bobble head" has turned into full-out dancing.

Hope you had an awesome 1st Birthday, Ryan! We love you :)

10 comments:

MKS said...

love all the updates! we are sad we missed ryan's birthday! we are excited to go camping in august. until then, enjoy the summer!

Lindsay said...

Hi Rachel. Our pediatrician was also not very happy about Ruby's weight at her 1 year appointment. She dropped a lot in percentile. I hadn't really felt worried about her--she looks and seems healthy. The doctor had all these tests done on her and we even saw a GI specialist--and he said she's fine, I just need to do my best to get her to eat more. He said it's common for babies at this age to drop in weight. If you feel fine about Ryan, I wouldn't worry. He's such a cutie!!

Julie said...

I love the cake pictures! So cute. I'll have you know that you can thank ME for the idea of the ball popper. We got one for Kason, and my mom has since bought one for Adam & Ryan. Lots of fun!

You guys are always having fun--picnics, fireworks, etc. Wish we lived closer so we could join in.

Melenie said...

Yep, Adam loves his ball popper too! Happy birthday to Ryan! He was born at such a fun time of the year.

Tanilee said...

Yay! So fun to get an update from the Taylors! What a fun summer you guys have been having. What I wouldn't give to be living up north right about now! ;) Glad to hear you guys are doing well. Good luck with Ryan's tests, etc. I'm sure everything will come back just fine. He's just petite like his momma! :)

Felipe said...

those are really cute/funny pictures of him enjoying some cake hahaha as you said he really loved digging his hands into it haha he's such a piece of work!

Great bday party! I'm sure Ryan loved it!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Ryan! We love you!!

val said...

ok he is SO cute. love the cake all over his face.
looks like a fun party. i would sure love to visit you guys in your beautiful country sometime...
my lucy is a light weight too. she is 16 lbs at 10+ months with her two younger cousins passing her by weight wise. but she's happy and doing well so we're not worried.

val said...

ps his cake was SUPER cute!!

Jordan said...

You're monkey cake was adorable Rachel! You throw a great party...we were thrilled to be included in Ryan's first birthday celebration!